Barry McWayne (1943-2010) arrived in Alaska in 1968. In 1970 he was offered a position at the University of Alaska Museum to create and head a new photographic department. McWayne spent his career at the museum until his retirement in 2007. Throughout his career, he maintained an active roll as artist with more than 150 exhibitions to his credit. In 1985, McWayne received an Individual Artist Fellowship from the Alaska State Council on the Arts in recognition of his achievements in photography, and in 2006 he received an Individual Artist Award from the Foundation.
His work has been acquired by all major museums in Alaska, several major corporations, and by private collectors in and out of the state. McWayne curated photographic exhibitions for numerous institutions, including the Anchorage Museum at Rasmuson Center, The Photographic Center of Monterey and the UA Museum of the North. His teaching credits ranged from university courses to statewide workshops, and he thoroughly enjoyed mentoring younger photographers who sought his advice.
Artwork by Barry McWayne
This art was purchased through the Alaska Art Fund managed by Museums Alaska.